About a month ago, somebody suggested to me in a Buzz conversation that I set up a different Twitter accounts for my activity in Romanian, my native language. I must admit I flirted with that idea before, but I thought it would be complicated and always postponed it. This is a rather thorny issue with all Twitter users twitting in multiple languages; despite some attempts by Google to tackle the problem, the language barrier is still dividing Internet users worldwide. Even though some Twitter clients like Brizzly integrated translation of tweets and Twitter may do so in the web interface sometimes soon, I can’t rely on machine-based translation to do a decent job, especially with a ‘niche’ language like Romanian.
So I went ahead and created a new Twitter account (@gmoga), in addition to my old one (@EXDE601E) that will be (mostly) for English tweets. I also tweeted about it to notify my followers of the change, in case someone was interested to follow the new account (apparently they weren’t). The bigger problem however was migrating some of the people I followed, namely those that also tweet mostly in Romanian. I wanted to separate the two timelines as much as possible. Twitter is not very helpful when it comes to managing connections. You can’t sort or see if people are following you back, unless you check if you can DM them. Clearly, I needed an external application for that.