13 October 2012

Daring Fireball: “Kindle Paperwhite”

Even iOS devices like the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch have hardware buttons for volume control and, of course, going to the home screen. (I think the Kindle Paperwhite would be improved with a Home button too, but that’s not as big a deal as page-turning.) The Einstein adage that things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler, holds here. The old Kindles had way too many buttons. But one button, the power toggle, is too few.

John Gruber

Being a Kindle Keyboard user myself, this review is spot on. I would very much like to upgrade to the Paperwhite, but the lack of dedicated buttons for page-turning is holding me back – that, and the fact that Amazon isn’t shipping to my country yet. With my current Kindle I can rest my thumb on one side and just click when I want to turn the page; no matter how responsive the touchscreen is, I don’t think it will be able match this for simplicity and speed.

Post a Comment