22 January 2015

Wired: “Project HoloLens: Our Exclusive Hands-On With Microsoft’s Holographic Goggles”

Another scenario lands me on a virtual Mars-scape. Kipman developed it in close collaboration with NASA rocket scientist Jeff Norris, who spent much of the first half of 2014 flying back and forth between Seattle and his Southern California home to help develop the scenario. With a quick upward gesture, I toggle from computer screens that monitor the Curiosity rover’s progress across the planet’s surface to the virtual experience of being on the planet. The ground is a parched, dusty sandstone, and so realistic that as I take a step, my legs begin to quiver. They don’t trust what my eyes are showing them. Behind me, the rover towers seven feet tall, its metal arm reaching out from its body like a tentacle. The sun shines brightly over the rover, creating short black shadows on the ground beneath its legs.

Jessi Hempel

If we won’t be able to go to Mars in person, I guess this is the next best thing.

Microsoft reveals its mind-bending HoloLens, a pair of glasses that allows viewers to see holograms layered over the real world

Post a Comment