22 May 2018

Baekdal Plus: “Inside Story: What I did to get GDPR Compliant”

GDPR is now putting a stop to this by turning the first rule of privacy into law. On top of this, one of the big differences that GDPR makes is that the implied consent that we have always had is no longer enough. Compared to the past, we now have to be in control of the data, which we weren’t; We need to have data transparency, which we didn’t; We have to be able to show our audience exactly what data we have collected about them and where it is, which we couldn’t… and we have to give readers a way to delete their data.

So, in this rather long article, I’m going to tell you exactly what I did, why I did it, how I implemented my new system, as well as how I am now doing analytics.

Thomas Baekdal

After complaining about bad practices in dealing with GDPR, it’s time to share some good practices. Some of the advice is not directly applicable to everyone, since the case in point here is a publisher with paid membership, but hopefully people can be inspired enough to think outside the box and implement genuine changes to their data collection policies. And, I must confess, I’m a little biased, since I contributed a tiny bit of information about Twitter’s privacy options for embedded tweets. The author has written a lot more on the subject, here are other articles that are worth a read: ‘Publishers haven't realized just how Big a Deal GDPR is’ and ‘Putting GDPR into Action for Publishers’ – the second behind his paywall.

As the owner of a personal blog, I’m largely exempt from GDPR – which makes sense, since I don’t make any money from this activity, not do I collect reader data except for my newsletter and analytics. I also removed most of the sharing buttons and accompanying scripts long ago. Nevertheless, I will probably implement the enhanced privacy for Twitter, since I frequently embed tweets and their script is loaded asynchronously on my entire blog.

The first rule of privacy The first rule of privacy, from Thomas Baekdal I’m the only one who can decide what I want to share!
The first rule of privacy

Post a Comment