10 May 2020

Vanity Fair: “Astronaut Chris Hadfield Reviews Space Movies, from ‘Gravity’ to ‘Interstellar’”

Retired astronaut and engineer Chris Hadfield fact checks notable space movies using his NASA experience and vast knowledge of outer space, including ’Gravity’, ‘Passengers’, ‘Armageddon’, ‘The Martian’, ‘Interstellar’, ‘First Man’, ‘Hidden Figures’, ‘Ad Astra’, ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’, ‘Sunshine’ and ‘WALL-E’

I’ve had pretty much the same reaction watching Gravity, and that whole ending based on ‘the power of love’ spoiled Interstellar for me as well. I mostly agree with the opinions of Chris Hadfield from this YouTube video, for the sci-fi movies I’ve watched anyway. Some supposedly ‘science-based’ stories veer so far from reality that it’s hard to enjoy them instead of criticizing their questionable writing and ideas. I may not be a scientist, but I have read enough good science-fiction books to develop low tolerance for faulty logic and bogus science.

Post a Comment