03 March 2021

Dustin Curtis: “Apple Card disabled my iCloud, App Store, and Apple ID accounts”

The next day, Music.app stopped working.

Now I was genuinely worried. I checked my phone and neither the App Store nor Apple Music would work there, either. A few minutes later, Calendar popped up an error – it had stopped syncing. I immediately tried to call Apple Support from my Mac, but Apple’s Handoff feature had been disabled as well.

The first person I spoke to at Apple spent a while researching the issue and then told me there was nothing she could do but escalate the issue, and that I should expect a call “hopefully” within the next day. I asked what the problem might be, and she seemed as confused as I was. Although some Apple services were still working, like iMessage (thank God) and Photos, I was terrified that more services would suddenly become inaccessible or that I would lose the considerable amount of data I have stored in iCloud.

Dustin Curtis

The dangers of over-reliance on a single ecosystem: when something fails (in this case Apple Card), it may take down multiple other services and leave you scrambling for customer support. In this particular case, Apple’s reaction of blocking an account for a slightly overdue payment seems… excessive, to say the least.

Apple ID locked because of Apple Card charges

Post a Comment