11 October 2023

The Lightroom Queen: “What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.0, Mobile & Desktop (October 2023)?”

Classic, Desktop & Mobile – Lens Blur

Lens Blur uses AI to simulate shallow Depth of Field. Some mobile devices use multiple lenses to create this kind of depth map at the time of capture, like the iPhone in Portrait mode, so Depth Range Masking and Lens Blur make good use of this technology. If a depth map isn’t available, however, Lightroom’s Lens Blur tool uses AI to try to estimate the distances.

The amount of blur can be adjusted, as can the style of bokeh in highlights in the background, which isn’t currently possible when using Masking to blur a background. Focal Range can also be adjusted to determine what’s in focus.

Victoria Bampton

It’s been a while since I’ve written about Lightroom here, but this new feature caught my interest. It has a lot of potential for creative results – and an even greater potential for horrendously over-the-top editing. This was also an area where I felt Lightroom Classic was lagging compared to mobile photo apps, which could capture and edit depth maps for various blurring effects, so it’s good to see the feature coming to desktops as well. (I personally can’t wait for the day when AI-magic can restore focus in photos; I have some great shots where the main areas are just slightly out-of-focus, either because the camera was not up for the task or through my own negligence.)

Lens Blur (Early Access) in Lightroom Classic

Other items on the update list are great as well, in particular Point Color. HDR Editing sounds intriguing as well in theory, but I’m not sure my current laptop fully supports it (I don’t see any difference in their article between the standard and HDR versions of images).

Post a Comment