11 December 2014

TechCrunch: “Instagram Hits 300 Million Monthly Users To Surpass Twitter”

It’s no fad. Just nine months after hitting 200 million users, Instagram now says 300 million people use its photo app every month, with 70% of them coming from outside the US. That makes Instagram officially bigger than Twitter, which had 284 million active users as of six weeks ago.

Josh Constine

I saw the same argument repeated elsewhere, but I think comparing straight up user numbers is a bit misleading here. It’s like comparing the news business to the entertainment industry – the parallel being, evidently, that is the news center of the real-time era, while dominates shallow entertainment and quick communication. At the end of the day, people will consume both news and entertainment, and they will both be viable sources of revenue, but they will reach different audiences, depending on personal tastes.

Instagram user growth chart

Personally, I love using Twitter and I check it multiple times a day, both the iPhone app and TweetDeck on desktop, where I have two separate accounts and several lists. On the other hand, I don’t see much value on Instagram, other than a nicer way of sharing photos with friends on Facebook and sending them to Twitter simultaneously. So much so, that the app has to remind me from time to time that I should check my stream…

Post a Comment