23 July 2024

r/photography: “Internet is wrong–Instagram portrait resolution isn’t 1080x1350px in 4:5 aspect ratio”

All sites I can find claim Instagram portraits have a 4:5 aspect ratio at 1080x1350px. According to my testing that’s flat-out wrong

This testing was done on a desktop PC and a Samsung A52 smartphone. All Software is up-to-date.


Mobile messes up the Aspect Ratio by cropping height: When I use my phone to upload a 4:5 photo the top and bottom get cut off. The app crops my portrait posts to 8:9, 1080x1210px resolution, and that resolution is not even entirely consistent. The missing portion doesn’t appear when you look at it on desktop. It’s not hidden. It’s fully hard-cropped out of the image file.

PC uploads do use 4:5 but have higher resolutions: Unlike mobile any desktop uploads actually do tell you the aspect ratio your post will have before you upload, and it actually does stick to the 4:5. However, the common claim that it will be posted in 1080x1350 is wrong here. The resolution is far higher. My photo got cropped to 1440x1800px!

wadsadgs

Interesting find on the r/photography subreddit. Indeed, every article I’ve seen recommends an upload resolution of 1080 for the horizontal edge of the image (1080 × 1080px for square posts, 1080 × 566px for landscape posts, 1080 × 1350px for portrait posts). I’ve always found that choice somewhat odd, as it translates into a smaller resolution for landscape images, but I guess Instagram only cares about the horizontal pixel density, to fill the width of a mobile screen in a consistent manner.

Curious if something had changed, I did my own testing with the web inspector on Instagram’s desktop site. I looked at the intrinsic size of a random sample of images in my feed, and there does seem to be a much wider variety of resolutions in the mix, especially for landscape images. One of them went up to 2067 × 1440px, so a short edge of 1440px, considerably larger than expected. But I’ve also seen portrait posts in the old 1080 × 1350px size.

A portrait image on Instagram's desktop website alongside the inspector showing its resolution and aspect ratio A landscape image on Instagram's desktop website alongside the inspector showing its resolution and aspect ratio
Two examples of Instagram photo resolutions from the desktop site

Granted, this could be because Instagram doesn’t limit the aspect ratio for landscape as it does for portrait, where you can only upload 4:5 images, so people feel more freedom to upload in whatever resolution they choose. Nevertheless, it does seem like Instagram increased the resolution used to render still posts sometime recently – one of the comments on the post suggests the beginning of April.

My own recent posts are all rendered with the smaller, 1080px horizontal edge, but that’s because I upload files at those dimensions, based on the recommendations mentioned above. Time to update my Lightroom export preset, I guess!

Post a Comment